INGREDIENTS FOR A SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW
Review company website for history, insight, philosophy, etc..
Have some probing questions prepared…..you might ask…
Why is the position available?
Could you describe in detail the responsibilities of the position?
Anticipated training programs or indoctrination expectation?
Advanced training programs available for successful people?
Company and/or department growth plans?
- Do dress in acceptable business attire – Be neat & well groomed
- Do plan to arrive on time or a few minutes early.
- LATE ARRIVALS FOR AN INTERVIEW ARE UNACCEPTABLE!
- Do take the time to fill out any application or paperwork completely
- Take additional copies of your resume with you, just in case!
- Do greet everyone graciously and directly with good eye contact.
- Do shake hands firmly.
- Do wait until you are offered a chair before sitting. Sit upright with good posture, look alert and interested at all times. Be a good listener!
- Do maintain good eye contact with the interviewer throughout the process.
- Do follow the interviewer’s leads, but try and get the interviewer to describe the position, duties and responsibilities early in the process so that you can relate your background and experience to the skills required for the position.
- Don’t answer questions with a simple “yes” or “no”. Expound upon your answers to correlate how your skills/abilities sync with the requirements.
- Be honest, confident and sincere in your communications.
- Get across your points to the interviewer in a factual, sincere manner.
- Keep in mind that at this juncture you alone must sell yourself & skills.
QUESTIONS TO EXPECT:
Be prepared to answer the typical interview questions:
- What kind of job are you looking for?
- What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?
- What do you know about our company?
- What do like about your particular vocation?
- What are your qualifications?
- What are you looking to earn in compensation?
- Why are you looking to make a job change?
For additional insight and assistance in what is the best possible answer to any of the above questions, please ask our representative for additional advice and help.
BEWARE! – The things we don’t want to do or say!
- Don’t smell like smoke, if you smoke wait until after your meeting!
- Don’t lie! Answer questions truthfully and to the point as possible.
- Don’t make derogatory remarks about your present of prior jobs.
- Don’t “over answer” questions.
- Stay on point, you’re there to sell yourself and learn about the company and the opportunity that’s available. Avoid any conversations involving ticklish topics such as politics, religion, economics, world news and the like.
- Don’t inquire about SALARY.
- Don’t inquire about VACATION.
- Don’t inquire about BONUSES.
- Don’t inquire about SICK LEAVE.
- Don’t inquire about FMLA.
- Don’t inquire about COMP TIME.
- Don’t inquire about RETIREMENT.
For information on these topics your LST contact can obtain in your behalf.
CLOSING THE INTERVIEW:
- Do ask for the position and show interest…your job is to get an offer!
- Ask what the next step would be in the interview process?
- Do always conduct yourself with confidence.
- Do ask the interviewer for an assessment of your fit to the position?
- Do offer additional info if you failed to properly convey on a topic.
- Do verbally express your gratitude for the interviewer’s time and candor.
- Do ask how you stack up to the other applicants being considered?
- Do ask all parties for their business cards.
- Do convey your eagerness to succeed and be a part of the team.
POST- INTERVIEW ACTION:
- Call your LST representative as soon as possible; 410-785-6313
- Write “Thank You’s” for all company parties you interviewed with.
- Make a list of the things you did well during the interview.
- Make a list of the things you could improve upon, and work on these.
- Ask your LST representative for any additional advice on client feedback.
- Reward yourself for having the courage to learn and improve your life.
- Interviewing is “tough”, it takes us out of our comfort zone, be a winner!
- Reflect upon the positives of the entire experience, you’ve just grown as a pro!